Back Into the Box…
Jesus said early in His ministry the following: “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he [God] has anointed me to preach good new to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed.” Luke 4:18
There are three things that all of us in this room have in common:
· We all came into this world with no position or possessions.
· We are all going to leave this world with a position but without our possessions.
· We are all going to stand before God to answer for our rebellion.
Jesus Christ tells us that if “we know the truth, the truth will set us free.” So lets look at these things more closely.
1. We all came into this world with no position or possessions. We were powerless and penniless. All we knew how to do was holler, eat and poop. Our position was attention-getter. We cried and people paid attention to us. We had no clothes except what people put on us. We had no food except what people fed us. We had no answers to life’s complex problems. We had no wisdom. We did not even know enough to know that there were questions.
2. We are all going to leave this world with a position but without our possessions. It matters not how much stuff we accumulate because it has to be left behind. Just like a game, at some point the Lord requires our life and it is over. Like the game we all go into a box. What is done is done. No more chances. No more reprieves. No more decisions. No more appeals. The score is final.
3. We are all going to stand before God to answer for our rebellion. The rebellion is revealed by one question: “What position did you take when I presented my Son the Lord Jesus to you?” When we stand before God in the final judgment and He asks us “What position did you take when I presented my Son the Lord Jesus to you?” What will our answer be? The answer to this question is going to decide our destiny in eternity. Our destiny is decided in this life. There will be no excuses of I did not know or I did not understand. Even a child can understand who the Lord Jesus is. Even a child is able to ask the Lord Jesus to come into their life. Even a child can ask the Lord Jesus to forgive his sins.
A decision to get right with God tomorrow is too late. We have no clue when God is going to require our life. A decision get right with God after we die is too late. The answer to the question of “What position did you take when I presented my Son the Lord Jesus to you?” cannot be answered after we leave this world.
There is no better time than right now to meet the Lord Jesus. Christ died on the cross in order to pay the penalty for our rebellion against God. God raised Jesus from the dead so that we may have life and not be separated from God. Do not let arrogance or pride or even worse, indifference decide your destiny today. If you do, tomorrow may be too late.