Tonight you are going to hear Jesus’ words to you. Jesus said early in His ministry the following: “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he [God] has anointed me to preach good new to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed.” Luke 4:18
There are three things that all of us in this room have in common:
· We all came into this world without possessions.
· We are all going to leave this world the same way…without possessions.
· We are all going to stand before God to answer for our life.
When we are born, we have no possessions.
· We were powerless and penniless.
· All we knew how to do was holler, eat and poop.
· We had no clothes except what people put on us.
· We had no food except what people fed us.
· We had no answers to life’s complex problems.
· We had no wisdom.
· We did not even know enough to know that there were questions.
When we die we cannot take anything with us.
· All that stuff you have is staying behind for someone else to fight over.
· It matters not how much stuff we accumulate because its going to be left behind.
· Just like a game, at some point the Lord requires our life and it is over.
· Like the game we all go into a box.
· What is done is done.
· No more chances.
· No more reprieves.
· No more decisions.
· No more appeals.
· The score is final.
Jesus was talking to a large crowd of several thousand. There were so many crowded into this place that they were trampling on one another. Someone in the crowd shouted out to Jesus: “Tell my brother to share our inheritance.”
“I am not a judge or an arbiter between you and your brother” Jesus replied. “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed. A man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”
Pausing and looking around at the crowd, he continued: “Let me tell you a story about a very wealthy man who was a fool. This man was a farmer who owned land that was very fertile. Each year he harvested huge crops. Soon his barns were full and had no more room for all of the grain his fields were producing. “I have no more room for my stuff. Now what do I do?”
Suddenly he smiled as a plan formed in his mind. “I know what I will do…I will tear down my barns and build bigger one, and there I will store all my grain and my stuff. Then I can have much wealth for many years to come. Wow! Then I can sit back and eat, drink and be merry…just taking life easy.”
Then the wealthy man heard a voice out of heaven. It was the voice of God who said: “You are a fool wealth man. This very night you are going to die. Now all of this wealth that you have been storing up for your self…who is going to fight over it?”
Jesus looked around at the silent crowd. “This is how it will be with anyone who tries to store up possessions for their own selfish desires but ignores God. Life is more than what you will eat, or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food [even if it is pizza].”
Consider the ravens. Do not plant, cultivate or harvest or store food in barns…yet God feeds them.
Consider the lilies…they do not labor for clothes yet God dresses them in beauty.
After we die, all of us are going to stand before God.
· When we stand before God in the final judgment and He asks us “Did you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ to forgive your sins,” what will your answer be?
· Our destiny is decided in this life.
· If we have asked Christ to be Lord of our lives we will have eternal life.
· There will be no excuses of I did not know. You are hearing tonight.
· There will be no excuses I did not understand. You can ask for understanding.
· Even a child can understand who the Lord Jesus is.
· Even a child can ask the Lord Jesus to forgive his sins.
· You are hearing God call to you now.
· Are you closing your heart once again?
There are only two choices: We either give our lives to Jesus or we close Jesus out of our lives.
A decision to get right with God tomorrow is too late. We have no clue when God is going to require our life.
There is no better time than right now to meet the Lord Jesus. The Lord Jesus died on the cross in order to pay the penalty for our rebellion against God. God raised Jesus from the dead so that we may have life and not be separated from God.
Do not let arrogance or pride or even worse, indifference decide your destiny today. If you do, tomorrow may be too late.
If you are not sure how to get your life right with God, talk to one of us.
We will share with you what God wants you to know.
Let us ask God blessing on the food….